Halton Women’s Place is a non-profit organization devoted to assisting abused women and their dependent children. We offer shelter and support services for women as they establish violence-free lives in their community.
Position Type: Permanent Full-Time Child & Youth Counsellor (two positions)
Locations & Date: Burlington start date June 4, 2018 | Milton start date August 1, 2018
Wage Rate: $40,000 starting wage
Hours of Work: Monday to Thursday, hours from 10:00 am to 8:00 pm and may be flexed based on program needs (37.5 hours/week). Some weekend hours may be required.
- Child & Youth Worker diploma, Early Childhood Education diploma, Bachelor of Arts in Child Development is preferred
- Previous experience working with an understanding of violence against women and it’s effects on children
- Experience in residential therapeutic program model is an asset
- Experience in crisis intervention, problem-solving and conflict resolution
- Ability to work in crisis situations with multiple demands
- Demonstrated ability to provide non-judgmental and culturally sensitive support to children
- Willingness to develop knowledge and skills about violence against women and its impact on children, women and the community
- Sound knowledge of community agencies and resources as they relate to children
- Capacity to work in a computerized environment and ability to track stats as needed
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and as part of a team and with external resources
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability to conduct safety planning with children
- Ability to facilitate children’s groups both therapeutic and educational
- Assist with on the job training of new staff, students, and volunteers
- Current CPR and First Aid is required
- Knowledge of additional languages will be considered an asset
- Must be available to work all scheduled shifts as assigned
This is an SEIU Local 1 unionized workplace.
Please direct letters of application by 12:00 pm, May 17, 2018 to:
Halton Women’s Place
*All submissions must request a ‘read receipt’ to validate application receipt by Halton Women’s Place.