A woman is most at danger of harm/death when leaving an abusive partner. Create an emergency escape plan – for work, home and for children.

  • Teach your children their own safety plan (i.e. safe place to go, how to use the phone to call for help, emergency exits, etc.)
  • Create a code word with your children and family so they know when to call for help
  • Create a list of important phone numbers (e.g. police, shelter) for yourself and your children, and always have change for a phone call 24-hours/7 days a week
  • 24-Hour Crisis/Information/Support Lines (905) 332-7892 and (905) 878-8555
  • Create a list of safe places you can go (e.g. family, friend, shelter)
  • Tell your neighbours (if it’s safe) you would like them to call police if they hear fighting or screaming
  • Keep or hide clothing, house keys, car keys, money, important documents (or copies), favourite toys, etc. at a friend or family member’s home
  • Turn off location service on your cell/smart phone (also in car GPS)
  • Keep your identification in your wallet (or other safe place)
  • Open your own bank account (at a bank different from your partner) and arrange that calls and bank statements go to a friend or family member
  • Save and set aside as much money as you can (e.g. from grocery budget)
  • Have $10 to $15 available for cab fare or an emergency
  • Be aware of any weapons in the home (including kitchen knives)
  • Tell people you trust about the abuse – if possible, document incidents on a calendar
  • Consider a plan for the safety and welfare of your pet(s)
  • Change the locks, install a peephole in the door, a security system, an outside lighting system, and smoke detectors
  • Teach your children not to answer the door
  • Have your telephone number unpublished and block your number when calling out (dial *67 before the number)
  • Consider getting a cellular phone and have a cordless in the house
  • Keep your restraining order near you at all times
  • Tell someone at work about your situation and ask for calls to be screened
  • Make sure that work, the school, day care, and police have a copy of all court documents, including restraining orders and custody/access orders. With Bill 168, workplaces that are informed of domestic violence are legally obligated to protect all employees – notify work if safe to do so.
  • Tell people that your partner no longer lives with you and ask them to call police if your partner is seen near your work, home or children
  • Tell the people who take care of your children who has permission to pick them up
  • Stay away from the places your partner is likely to go or hang out (e.g. stores, banks, video rental, bars)

Do you think/know of someone who is being abused and don’t know what you can do? Find more about Bill 168 – www.neighboursfriendsandfamilies.ca

Safety plan in 12 different languages

Please visit the Peel Committee Against Woman Abuse website: www.pcawa.org for more information on safety planning and to access a safety plan in 12 different languages.

Important Documents and Items to Take With You When You Leave

  1. Identification – birth certificates, health cards, social insurance card – for you and your children
  2. School and medical records
  3. Money, banking and credit cards
  4. Keys – house, car, office, safety deposit box, mail box
  5. Driver’s licence and registration
  6. Medications/prescriptions for you and your children
  7. Passport, immigration papers, citizenship papers
  8. Mortgage information, house deed, lease/rental agreement
  9. Insurance papers
  10. Address book
  11. Pictures, jewelry, personal items of sentimental value
  12. Children’s favourite toys, blankets
  13. Any legal documents (i.e. separation agreement, divorce papers, restraining order)

The most important thing is to make sure you and your children are safe. If you need to flee your home and you are able, always take the children with you. This is very important for future custody disputes. It is not considered kidnapping as both parents have equal rights to their children, unless there is a court order.

If you are not able to take anything with you when you leave, you can return to your home with a police escort to gather personal belongings.

Halton Regional Police Service (Victim Services Unit): (905) 878-5511

Emergencies Online  911

Crisis Lines:

Halton Women’s Place South: (905) 332-7892

Halton Women’s Place North: (905) 878-8555

Victim/Witness Assistance Program – Halton: (905) 878-6292

Sexual Assault & Violence Intervention Services of Halton (SAVIS): (905) 875-1555

Kids Help Phone: 1-800-668-6868

Halton Children’s Aid Society: (905) 333-4441

Halton Family Services: (905) 845-3811

Access Counselling & Family Services: (905) 637-5256

Assaulted Women’s Helpline: 1-866-863-0511

The Women’s Centre: (905) 847-5520

FEMAIDE: 1-877-336-2433

Additional Contact Numbers List

  1. View or print as a Word document
  2. View or print as a PDF file