Shelter Needs List
In-kind donation of goods is vital to making our clients feel safe and secure
Last updated September 17, 2020
At this time we are only accepting donations of these URGENTLY NEEDED ITEMS. Your gift of any of the following items (new and in original packaging only), would be much appreciated at this time!
PLEASE NOTE: Items cannot be dropped off at the shelter without first making an appointment with our Community Development Team. Please email: email@example.com to schedule a drop off time.
- Costco Gift Cards for bulk supplies and Halal food
- diced, whole and pureed canned tomatoes
- canned chick peas and other canned beans
- canned vegetables all types
- tin foil, parchment paper, plastic wrap, zip lock sandwich bags
- Oils, Vinegar and Sauces
- Stock all types
- Peanut free snacks (granola bars, bear paws, fruit snacks – helpful in school lunches)
- condiments (ketchup, mayo, mustard)
- Mr. noodles
- Tea and coffee + hot chocolate
- Reusable water bottles
- Markers and crayons
- Geometry sets
- Lunch bags
Toiletries & Hygiene Products
- Diapers (especially sizes 4)
- Diaper wipes
- Hand Soap in Pumps
- Sunscreen – children/family friendly
- Body Lotion
- Children’s toothpaste
Linens and Such
- Twin size bed linens
- Shower curtains and bath tub matts
- Dish sets
- Brita Filter refills and jugs
Children & Family Friendly Activities – new and in package please
- Puzzles (all sizes and all ages; especially for ages 3 – 8)
- White glue (in bottles)
- Canvases, non-toxic paint, brushes
- Shaving cream (white foam)
- Crafts and Craft Sets: Tye Dye Kits, Bracelets, Keepsake Boxes, Etc.
- leggings and sweat pants for women (all sizes)
- t shirts, sweat shirts – for women (all sizes)
- Pajamas for women (all sizes)
- Pajamas in all sizes for children (size 4 to 14/16)
What’s with the Green Bins?
Although we take great pride in our facilities, we simply don’t have the storage space to house all of the gently used clothing donations that we receive.
We are very fortunate to work in partnership with Clothing for Charity (clothingforcharity.com), who manages our green bins and picks up donations on a daily basis. They sort the donations by gender, size and season and store it for us. When a woman comes to the shelter for assistance, she fills out a form that indicates the clothing necessities she (and her children) are in need of – along with sizes. We give this information to Clothing for Charity who then bring the appropriate clothing needs for that new client. It’s a fantastic system and our clients are very appreciative of your generous donations!
You have options:
You have options:
IF YOU DECIDE TO LEAVE
- Call our 24 hour Crisis, Information and Support Line to speak with a trained Crisis Intervention Counsellor;
- The Crisis Intervention Counsellor will explore your options with you and support you to create a Safety Plan, along with creating an Emergency Escape Plan
- If you have pets, you can explore safe options with the Crisis Intervention Counsellor.
If you do choose to come to Halton Women’s Place, you and your child(ren) may stay for up to 12 weeks. Our Crisis Intervention Counsellors will work alongside you on your personal goals, which may include:
- Accessing community support;
- Accessing counselling;
- Obtaining housing;
- Accessing financial supports;
- Exploring legal supports;
- Any other individual goals.
Emergency transportation is available to help you get to the shelter.
IF YOU DECIDE NOT TO LEAVE
- Call the Halton Women’s Place 24-hour Crisis, Information and Support Line.
- Our Crisis Intervention Counsellors will offer support, counselling, resources and information. They will also explore your options.
- Crisis Intervention Counsellors will also offer to support you to create a safety plan for you, and your children, if applicable
- Crisis support is available on the phone or in person at either shelter. No appointment is necessary.
WHAT TO EXPECT AT THE SHELTER
- Safe shelter with staff available 24 hours a day;
- Clean and welcoming bedrooms;
- Laundry facilities;
- Children’s Services, including parenting support, therapeutic groups, children’s activities, playroom;
- Court support for interim custody and restraining orders;
- Supportive counselling;
- Advocacy for you and your children;
- Support in accessing community services;
- Support groups;
- On-Going Safety Planning;
- Planning for departure from shelter
©2019 Halton Women’s Place. All Right’s Reserved | Registered Charity Number-10746 2558 RR001