Shelter Needs List
Every year, during the holidays, we are blown away by the overwhelming support we receive from our community through gift-in-kind donations. Unfortunately, this year is anything by ordinary.
Due to COVID-19 protocols, reduced staff and a lack of storage space, we are unable to accept gift-in-kind donations during this time.
If you are hoping to make a donation to support the women and children we serve, please consider a monetary donation or a gift card. Some gift cards to consider: Costco, Walmart, grocery stores, clothing stores (Old Navy, The Bay, Sportschek etc.), Amazon.
To arrange the delivery of gift cards, or if you would like to speak to someone about the donation process, please email email@example.com
What’s with the Green Bins?
Although we take great pride in our facilities, we simply don’t have the storage space to house all of the gently used clothing donations that we receive.
We are very fortunate to work in partnership with Clothing for Charity (clothingforcharity.com), who manages our green bins and picks up donations on a daily basis. They sort the donations by gender, size and season and store it for us. When a woman comes to the shelter for assistance, she fills out a form that indicates the clothing necessities she (and her children) are in need of – along with sizes. We give this information to Clothing for Charity who then bring the appropriate clothing needs for that new client. It’s a fantastic system and our clients are very appreciative of your generous donations!
You have options:
You have options:
IF YOU DECIDE TO LEAVE
- Call our 24 hour Crisis, Information and Support Line to speak with a trained Crisis Intervention Counsellor;
- The Crisis Intervention Counsellor will explore your options with you and support you to create a Safety Plan, along with creating an Emergency Escape Plan
- If you have pets, you can explore safe options with the Crisis Intervention Counsellor.
If you do choose to come to Halton Women’s Place, you and your child(ren) may stay for up to 12 weeks. Our Crisis Intervention Counsellors will work alongside you on your personal goals, which may include:
- Accessing community support;
- Accessing counselling;
- Obtaining housing;
- Accessing financial supports;
- Exploring legal supports;
- Any other individual goals.
Emergency transportation is available to help you get to the shelter.
IF YOU DECIDE NOT TO LEAVE
- Call the Halton Women’s Place 24-hour Crisis, Information and Support Line.
- Our Crisis Intervention Counsellors will offer support, counselling, resources and information. They will also explore your options.
- Crisis Intervention Counsellors will also offer to support you to create a safety plan for you, and your children, if applicable
- Crisis support is available on the phone or in person at either shelter. No appointment is necessary.
WHAT TO EXPECT AT THE SHELTER
- Safe shelter with staff available 24 hours a day;
- Clean and welcoming bedrooms;
- Laundry facilities;
- Children’s Services, including parenting support, therapeutic groups, children’s activities, playroom;
- Court support for interim custody and restraining orders;
- Supportive counselling;
- Advocacy for you and your children;
- Support in accessing community services;
- Support groups;
- On-Going Safety Planning;
- Planning for departure from shelter
©2019 Halton Women’s Place. All Right’s Reserved | Registered Charity Number-10746 2558 RR001