With thanks to the overwhelming response of the community, we are so grateful to share that the shelters are well stocked at this time and we are not currently in need of: toys, toiletries & menstrual products, clothing.
If you are interested in donating physical items, please review what we are able to accept at this time.
Donation drop offs are accepted on weekdays (Burlington: 9am – 5pm and Milton: 9am-1pm & 2pm-3pm) when there is optimal staffing.
For more information or if you have questions, please email email@example.com
**List updated as of October 23, 2023**
PLEASE NOTE ALL ITEMS MUST BE NEW. THANK YOU.
- Nut free school snacks
- Juice box packs
- Dry Cereals Pancake/waffle Mix
- Canned veggies & soup
- ⚠ Canned beans & Legumes
- Pancake syrup
- Pasta sauce/diced tomatoes
- Condiments & dressings
- Crackers & cookies
- Fruit cups & apple sauce
- Fruit juice
- Granola & cereal bars
- Microwave popcorn
- Fruit snacks for school age kids
- Canned pasta & Kraft Dinner
- Twin, Double and Queen sized sheet sets and comforters
- Twin, Double and Queen sized Bed Frames and Box Springs
- Towels – adult and kid sizes – and face cloths
Toiletries & Hygiene Products
- Liquid hand soap (with hand pump)
- Hair products for women of colour
- Laundry detergent for babies and for sensitive skin
- Bodywash for sensitive skin
- Lotion for sensitive skin
- Gift Set (bath set/ selfcare)
- Dish soap
- ⚠ Diapers (Size 6+)
- ⚠ Wipes
- ⚠ Strollers (double, infant & toddler)
- ⚠ Enfamil Premium Plus or Parents Choice Gentle
- Pajamas for children and women of all sizes (including extended sizes and male teens)
- Slippers (all sizes, adult and children)
- Women’s Leggings (all sizes)
- Women’s Jackets (Size XXL – 4XL)
- Batteries – Double A and Triple A
- Kids Thermos containers
PLEASE NOTE ALL ITEMS MUST BE NEW. THANK YOU.
- Juicer & blenders
- Toasters & Toaster ovens
- Air fryers
- Food processor
- Rice Cookers
- Baby Monitors
- Laptops & Tablets
- Gaming systems
Gift cards enable us to provide essential support to women who have left the shelter and are starting a new life free from violence.
- Grocery Stores
- Gas Stations
- Canadian Tire
Amazon Wish List
We have put together an Amazon Wish List of items that we are in most need of currently. Items on the list can be shipped directly to the shelter.
Why The Green Bins?
While we take pride in our facilities, our limited storage space can’t accommodate all the clothing donations we receive. Thankfully, we partner with Clothing for Charity, who manages the green bins. They collect and organize donations and provide the appropriate clothing for our new clients. It’s an excellent system, and our clients are truly grateful for your generous donations!
Gently used clothing, shoes, towels, sheets, blankets & curtains are welcome to be dropped off any time in the designated Clothing for Charity green bins located throughout Halton Region, including outside our Burlington & Milton locations)
Items that we cannot accept in the shelters at this time:
- Used books
- Used furniture
- Used mattresses/beds/cribs
- Used cellphones/laptops/tablets/ipads
- Knit/crocheted/quilted items
- Perishable or leftover food
- Plush/stuffed toys
- Used toys and games
- Used baby/child car seats
- Travel/airline/hotel toiletries
- Pet supplies
For local listings of groups and organizations that are accepting and seeking donations, please visit www.hipinfo.ca to search the Halton Community Services Directory online.
You have options:
IF YOU DECIDE TO LEAVE
- Call our 24 hour Crisis, Information and Support Line to speak with a trained Crisis Intervention Counsellor;
- The Crisis Intervention Counsellor will explore your options with you and support you to create a Safety Plan, along with creating an Emergency Escape Plan
- If you have pets, you can explore safe options with the Crisis Intervention Counsellor.
If you do choose to come to Halton Women’s Place, you and your child(ren) may stay for up to 12 weeks. Our Crisis Intervention Counsellors will work alongside you on your personal goals, which may include:
- Accessing community support;
- Accessing counselling;
- Obtaining housing;
- Accessing financial supports;
- Exploring legal supports;
- Any other individual goals.
Emergency transportation is available to help you get to the shelter.
IF YOU DECIDE NOT TO LEAVE
- Call the Halton Women’s Place 24-hour Crisis, Information and Support Line.
- Our Crisis Intervention Counsellors will offer support, counselling, resources and information. They will also explore your options.
- Crisis Intervention Counsellors will also offer to support you to create a safety plan for you, and your children, if applicable
- Crisis support is available on the phone or in person at either shelter. No appointment is necessary.
WHAT TO EXPECT AT THE SHELTER
- Safe shelter with staff available 24 hours a day;
- Clean and welcoming bedrooms;
- Laundry facilities;
- Children’s Services, including parenting support, therapeutic groups, children’s activities, playroom;
- Court support for interim custody and restraining orders;
- Supportive counselling;
- Advocacy for you and your children;
- Support in accessing community services;
- Support groups;
- On-Going Safety Planning;
- Planning for departure from shelter