Decals for Darian
On July 28, 2020, a 25 year old woman from OUR community – the community of Georgetown – was killed. Her name was Darian Hailey Henderson Bellman.
Darian, affectionately known as ‘Dare’, was fatally shot in Peel. A 27-year-old man that she was in a relationship with has been charged with her murder and is awaiting trial.
Her family and her community, along with us here at Halton Women’s Place will continue to advocate for an end to intimate partner violence. We will also work together to amplify the voices of women and their families, like Darian’s, as well as others who need their voices to be heard.
To raise more awareness about intimate partner violence and the fact that it does happen in our community and to honour the life of Darian, friends of the family have created a fundraising initiative.
Darian’s father, Paul Henderson, is a huge car aficionado and Darian loved to work with him on his cars. It was a special hobby for both of them.
Friends and fellow car aficionados Jim Dorsey and Paul Henshall are working together to produce car decals that will be sold at various car events across Southern Ontario. They say,
“Like most people, we were aware that domestic abuse is a serious issue, but when it devastated the lives of two of the most wonderful people that we know, the issue became very personal. ANYONE caught in a potentially deadly abusive relationship should be able to find the resources to help them cope or escape.”
To purchase your car decal please contact Jim or Paul.
(Once COVID restrictions are significantly relaxed, we will be posting locations and times for organized show & shines and car shows)
“We thank everyone for supporting us during these tragic times. Thank you from our hearts to all the people fighting to make changes to protect women from the fate that our daughter Darian suffered.”
– Darian’s grandparents, Flo & Paul
You can purchase your car decal to increase awareness and to honour Darian’s life at many “pop up” events around Southern Ontario.
Jim at 905-453-3038 (Jfdorsey@yahoo.com) or
Paul at 905-601-1519 (email@example.com)
You have options:
IF YOU DECIDE TO LEAVE
- Call our 24 hour Crisis, Information and Support Line to speak with a trained Crisis Intervention Counsellor;
- The Crisis Intervention Counsellor will explore your options with you and support you to create a Safety Plan, along with creating an Emergency Escape Plan
- If you have pets, you can explore safe options with the Crisis Intervention Counsellor.
If you do choose to come to Halton Women’s Place, you and your child(ren) may stay for up to 12 weeks. Our Crisis Intervention Counsellors will work alongside you on your personal goals, which may include:
- Accessing community support;
- Accessing counselling;
- Obtaining housing;
- Accessing financial supports;
- Exploring legal supports;
- Any other individual goals.
Emergency transportation is available to help you get to the shelter.
IF YOU DECIDE NOT TO LEAVE
- Call the Halton Women’s Place 24-hour Crisis, Information and Support Line.
- Our Crisis Intervention Counsellors will offer support, counselling, resources and information. They will also explore your options.
- Crisis Intervention Counsellors will also offer to support you to create a safety plan for you, and your children, if applicable
- Crisis support is available on the phone or in person at either shelter. No appointment is necessary.
WHAT TO EXPECT AT THE SHELTER
- Safe shelter with staff available 24 hours a day;
- Clean and welcoming bedrooms;
- Laundry facilities;
- Children’s Services, including parenting support, therapeutic groups, children’s activities, playroom;
- Court support for interim custody and restraining orders;
- Supportive counselling;
- Advocacy for you and your children;
- Support in accessing community services;
- Support groups;
- On-Going Safety Planning;
- Planning for departure from shelter
NEED HELP NOW?
CALL OUR 24-HOUR CRISIS LINES
BURLINGTON & OAKVILLE: 905-332-7892
MILTON & HALTON HILLS: 905-878-8555
©2023 Halton Women’s Place. All Right’s Reserved | Registered Charity Number-10746 2558 RR0001