Statement Regarding COVID-19
Updated: March 23rd, 2020
In response to the evolving COVID-19 situation, Halton Women’s Place has developed and activated our risk management system to advance and heighten our efforts to manage COVID-19 and to do our part in containing the further spread of the virus.
We have taken the following measures to ensure the health and well-being of our clients, staff, volunteers and visitors. Until further notice:
- All business meetings have been cancelled or scheduled virtually;
- All ‘non-essential’ staff are currently working from home;
- No non-essential visitors, maintenance and outside service providers are allowed in the shelters;
- Volunteers are not being scheduled in shelter;
- Prior to entering either of our shelters, everyone is being screened for recent travel, proximity to others who have tested positive for COVID-19, and known symptoms of COVID-19;
- Hand washing and sanitation prior to entering our buildings is required;
- Donations are not being accepted.
Further to this, Halton Women’s Place has modified kitchen and cleaning operations in our shelters and have implemented social distancing. We are also asking clients to socially isolate by:
- Remaining in the shelter at all times, except for emergencies
- Refraining from visiting with friends and family, or congregating socially
We remain committed to ensuring the safety of women and children and our 24/7 crisis line, shelter and support services will continue without disruption.
We will continue to monitor this situation closely, take direction from the Public Health department, and provide updates via our website and through our social media channels.
You have options:
IF YOU DECIDE TO LEAVE
- Call our 24 hour Crisis, Information and Support Line to speak with a trained Crisis Intervention Counsellor;
- The Crisis Intervention Counsellor will explore your options with you and support you to create a Safety Plan, along with creating an Emergency Escape Plan
- If you have pets, you can explore safe options with the Crisis Intervention Counsellor.
If you do choose to come to Halton Women’s Place, you and your child(ren) may stay for up to 12 weeks. Our Crisis Intervention Counsellors will work alongside you on your personal goals, which may include:
- Accessing community support;
- Accessing counselling;
- Obtaining housing;
- Accessing financial supports;
- Exploring legal supports;
- Any other individual goals.
Emergency transportation is available to help you get to the shelter.
IF YOU DECIDE NOT TO LEAVE
- Call the Halton Women’s Place 24-hour Crisis, Information and Support Line.
- Our Crisis Intervention Counsellors will offer support, counselling, resources and information. They will also explore your options.
- Crisis Intervention Counsellors will also offer to support you to create a safety plan for you, and your children, if applicable
- Crisis support is available on the phone or in person at either shelter. No appointment is necessary.
WHAT TO EXPECT AT THE SHELTER
- Safe shelter with staff available 24 hours a day;
- Clean and welcoming bedrooms;
- Laundry facilities;
- Children’s Services, including parenting support, therapeutic groups, children’s activities, playroom;
- Court support for interim custody and restraining orders;
- Supportive counselling;
- Advocacy for you and your children;
- Support in accessing community services;
- Support groups;
- On-Going Safety Planning;
- Planning for departure from shelter
©2021 Halton Women’s Place. All Right’s Reserved | Registered Charity Number-10746 2558 RR0001