Holiday Shelter Wishes
While communities continue to re-open after the COVID-19 pandemic, the lasting effects of the coronavirus continue to impact our clients this holiday season.
Every year, during the holidays, we are blown away by the overwhelming support we receive from our community through gift-in-kind donations.
Due to continuing COVID-19 protocols for congregate living facilities like HWP, reduced staff and a lack of storage space, we are unable to accept gift-in-kind donations during this time.
If you are hoping to donate to support the women and children we serve, please consider granting a Holiday Shelter Wish. Shelter Wishes are special events or items that help improve a client’s stay! This includes gifting everything from essential items and comforting activities to a week’s worth of groceries for the shelters.
Alternatively, please consider a monetary donation or a gift card. Some gift cards to consider: Costco, Walmart, grocery stores, clothing stores (Old Navy, Ikea, SportChek etc.), Amazon.
To arrange the delivery of gift cards, or if you would like to speak to someone about the donation process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your understanding!
Your donation will help make the holidays a little brighter for women and children fleeing abuse.
You have options:
IF YOU DECIDE TO LEAVE
- Call our 24 hour Crisis, Information and Support Line to speak with a trained Crisis Intervention Counsellor;
- The Crisis Intervention Counsellor will explore your options with you and support you to create a Safety Plan, along with creating an Emergency Escape Plan
- If you have pets, you can explore safe options with the Crisis Intervention Counsellor.
If you do choose to come to Halton Women’s Place, you and your child(ren) may stay for up to 12 weeks. Our Crisis Intervention Counsellors will work alongside you on your personal goals, which may include:
- Accessing community support;
- Accessing counselling;
- Obtaining housing;
- Accessing financial supports;
- Exploring legal supports;
- Any other individual goals.
Emergency transportation is available to help you get to the shelter.
IF YOU DECIDE NOT TO LEAVE
- Call the Halton Women’s Place 24-hour Crisis, Information and Support Line.
- Our Crisis Intervention Counsellors will offer support, counselling, resources and information. They will also explore your options.
- Crisis Intervention Counsellors will also offer to support you to create a safety plan for you, and your children, if applicable
- Crisis support is available on the phone or in person at either shelter. No appointment is necessary.
WHAT TO EXPECT AT THE SHELTER
- Safe shelter with staff available 24 hours a day;
- Clean and welcoming bedrooms;
- Laundry facilities;
- Children’s Services, including parenting support, therapeutic groups, children’s activities, playroom;
- Court support for interim custody and restraining orders;
- Supportive counselling;
- Advocacy for you and your children;
- Support in accessing community services;
- Support groups;
- On-Going Safety Planning;
- Planning for departure from shelter
©2021 Halton Women’s Place. All Right’s Reserved | Registered Charity Number-10746 2558 RR0001